Terms and Conditions
Minimum age is 16
How to book a course
To secure a place on a course at Central School of English, please return the Enrolment Form together with payment of a non refundable deposit or book online at www.centralschool.co.uk
Payment of fees
On receipt of the application and deposit a letter of confirmation is sent with a Statement of Fees which should be settled at least 4 weeks before the course starting date. In the case of registration less than 4 weeks before the course starting date, the full amount of the cost of the course must be sent with the Enrolment Form. PLEASE NOTE: students will not be allowed to start their course unless FULL PAYMENT has been received by the School. All bank charges must be paid by the student.
If you require a visa the school will provide the visa letter or Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) only when the full payment has been received by the school. In the event of an unsuccessful application all fees will be returned, less the cost of the CAS and accommodation cancellation charges.
Conditions for cancelling or changing a course by the Student
- If the School receives the cancellation before the course starting date, the School will retain the deposit.
- After the course has started, a student must give 10 days' written notice to the Principal of changes to or cancellation of a course. A cancellation fee equivalent to 1 week's course fees will be charged. Refunds cannot be made for non-attendence, absence due to illness or any other cause.
- If a student wishes to be absent from the course for 1 or 2 weeks for the purposes of taking a holiday s/he must give the Principal at least 2 weeks' notice in writing. (only applicable to students studying for 12 weeks or more)
- Students who choose to exchange their original choice of course for one of greater value must pay the difference between the two at the time of requesting the upgrade.
- Any refund due when a course is changed or cancelled, or a holiday taken, will be paid to the person who paid for the student's course at his/her home address at the end of the course. 'End of the course' here is defined as the last date of the course specified on the booking form (i.e. if a student books a 12 week course and decides to leave after 4 weeks s/he will not be refunded until 12 weeks after the start of the course). If a student is denied a student visa or a study permit and provides the school with a copy of the refusal letter before the first day of classes the school will refund the course fees minus a cancellation charge of £100 and any accommodation cancellation fees.
Change or Cancellation of a course by the School
Sometimes it is agreed between the School and a student that it would be beneficial for the student to be moved to another School course. When this happens only a course of at least equivalent cost will be offered by the School.
The School reserves the right to cancel a course, or make changes to course arrangements, without liability, if forced to do so for reasons beyond its control. If this happened, the School would seek to offer alternative arrangements, dates or venues.
If the School cancelled a course booked and paid for by a student in accordance with these terms other than for reasons beyond its control, and did not offer an alternative acceptable to the student, the School would pay compensation as follows:
- Where the cancellation is before the start of the course, compensation equal to the deposit paid by the student or
- Where the cancellation is after the start of the course, compensation equal to one week's fees.
- All students requiring Central School to arrange their accommodation will be charged an accommodation arrangement fee (£45). This must be paid in advance together with the course deposit and is non-refundable.
- Accommodation fees are payable to the school and are never to be paid directly to the residence or host family.
- If your accommodation involves extra days, you will be charged a daily rate for up to 3 nights. More than three nights will be charged at the full weekly rate (not applicable for hotel accommodation).
- Accommodation is booked from Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun except at Nevern House and Schafer House where it is booked from Sun to Sat.
- If you want to change or cancel your accommodation, you must inform the school no later than the Friday eight days prior to the change or cancellation date. If changes or cancellations are received with less than eight days notice, a cancellation charge of one week's accommodation will be payable.
- In arranging accommodation, Central School of English is acting as the suppliers' agent.
Liability and Insurance
Students should make sure that they organise their own travel insurance to cover medical costs and repatriation costs in the case of an illness or accident.
The School acts only as an intermediary between its students and travel organisations and between students and host families. Unless and to the extent caused by the School's negligence, the School cannot be held responsible for any delay or accident during a journey nor for any incident which may happen during the student's stay with the host family. The School will, however, endeavour to defend the student's interests in the event of breach of contract on the part of the travel organisation or the host family.
The School reserves the right not to allow on the course a student suffering from any illness, medical condition, or mental or physical disability which has not been disclosed on the Enrolment Form.
This brochure, issued by the School, gives the only terms and information that can be referred to in the event of a disagreement between the student and the School. These terms and conditions are governed by English law and do not affect your statutory rights under English law.
Personal Information and Photographs
We use the personal information that you give us, including information about your health and religious or dietary requirements, to perform our contract with you. We may also use it to ensure that we comply with UK law, for internal training, or to send you further information about our courses and services. We do not share your details with third parties other than as necessary to perform our contract with you. The information you give us is kept securely on our computer system, and is accessible by the schools and offices in the group of companies to which the School belongs, including those outside the European Union. If you do not want to receive further information from us, please write to us at the address below. Please contact us if you want to see a copy of the information we hold, or have questions about our use of your information.
The School reserves the right to use photographs taken during courses to illustrate its promotional material. If a student wishes that his or her photo should not appear in this material, they should write to the School within one month of the photo-shoot. These photos have no commercial or contractual value
Information about the School
The School is closed on 25 December, 26 December and 1 January.
In these terms 'the School' means Central School of English.
Courses at Central School of English are operated by the Language School Company Limited, a company registered in England and Wales under company number 01293463 and with a registered office at 38 Binsey Lane, Oxford, OX2 0EY United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1865 258 300
Fax: +44 (0)1865 244696