Central School of English :: English Language Schools in London, English courses in London, English in London

select a language: 

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I extend or change my accommodation?

If there is availability, you can extend your accommodation (as long as you are also extending your course). If you want to change your accommodation, you must give us one week's notice or pay one week's accommodation fee. In exceptional circumstances (for example when there is a serious complaint about your accommodation), we can change your accommodation without penalty or advance notice.

Can I extend or change my course?

It is easy to extend your course as long as you tell us in good time. If you want to upgrade your course, this is also possible. It is not usually possible to shorten your course or change to a less intensive course except in special circumstances. See conditions of enrolment for further information.

Can I open a bank account in the UK?

It has become extremely difficult for short-term (less than 1 year) foreign students to open an account with a UK bank. Usually, the bank will require you to be taking a course for at least 1 year. You will also have to prove that you have held a bank account in your own country for at least 3 months (you will have to show them your bank statements).

Do I need to buy a book?

All course materials are included in the cost of your course.

How can I pay?

Payment can be made by credit card, Sterling bank cheque, bank transfer, cash (only if paying at the school).

How far in advance do I need to make a booking?

Ideally we would like as much notice as possible, especially if accommodation is required. However, we will accept your booking at any time depending on availability of course and accommodation.

How much homework will I get?

Homework is set for all courses and will usually take approximately an hour each day.

How old are our students?

Most students are aged between 18 and 40 years old, the average age is about 33. A typical student is probably early to mid-twenties, although there are lots of older students too. In July and August, about 8% of students are 16 -19 yrs old.

What happens if I cancel my course?

See conditions of enrolment

What qualification do the teachers have?

All teachers have a degree and a recognised certificate in teaching English to foreign students. Furthermore, the majority of our teachers have 2 or more years experience before we employ them. Some teachers also have further qualifications in teaching, for example, English for Business.

We run regular in-house training and development seminars for our teachers to improve their skills

When do I have to pay?

When you enrol, you need to pay at least a deposit of £300. The balance of your fees must be received before the course start date.